I am shifting my weekly blog on new updates on Oracle Cloud to a biweekly. So, here you go the latest updates on Oracle Cloud. The post list the new features added from the last two-week ending 22-August-2021.
2021-08-09: Version 20 of oci-fss-utils for File Storage in-transit encryption is now available
Service: File Storage
Oracle has updated the package oci-fss-utils with SSL certificates for data encryption over the access layer. This is part of regular maintenance and as per the latest security standards. Also, the package contains trust anchors for the certificates. Oracle is strongly recommending updating the package oci-fss-utils to the new version, else you might face an SSL connection failure error, which might cause NFS operation failure.
You can download the package from here.
For more details, please check: https://docs.public.oneportal.content.oci.oraclecloud.com/iaas/releasenotes/changes/7226784d-4195-41f2-9ad1-dc4d4e7801a3/
2021-08-10: Introducing HeatWave Scale-out Data Management
Service: MySQL Database
HeatWave introduced a new data management layer that is built on OCI Object Storage. This new architecture enables storing HeatWave formatted data in persistent storage, allowing reload of data in constant time regardless of data size.
Data loaded into HeatWave, including propagated changes, are now persisted by the HeatWave Storage Layer to OCI Object Storage for recovery in case of a HeatWave node or cluster failure. Previously, data was recovered from the MySQL DB System. Loading data from OCI Object Storage is faster because data does not need to be converted to the HeatWave storage format, as is required when loading data from the MySQL DB System. If data recovery from OCI Object Storage fails, HeatWave falls back to recovering data from the MySQL DB System. Data removed from HeatWave when a table is unloaded is removed from OCI Object Storage in a background operation.
For more details, please check: https://docs.public.oneportal.content.oci.oraclecloud.com/iaas/releasenotes/changes/f6dddd96-806f-4c5e-8175-2bbbf3849d32/
2021-08-10: Accelerated Data Science (ADS) Feature Type and Model Catalog Features
Service: Data Science
A new release of the model catalogue is available, which enhancements:
- Automatical extraction of model taxonomy metadata that lets data scientists document the use case, framework, and hyperparameters of their models.
- Improvement to the model provenance metadata, including a reference to the model training resource (notebook sessions) by passing training_id into save().
- Support for custom metadata, which lets data scientists document the context around their models, automatic extraction references to the conda environment used to train the model, the training and validation datasets, and so on.
- Automatcal extraction of the model input feature vector and prediction schemas.
- Model introspection tests that are run on the model artifact before the model is saved to the model catalog. Model introspection validates the artifact against a series of common issues and errors found with artifacts. These introspection tests are part of the model artifact code template that is included.
Feature type is a newly added module that includes the following functionalities:
- Support for Explorationary Data Analysis including feature count, feature plot, feature statistics, correlation, and correlation plot.
- Support for the feature type manager that provides the tools to manage the handlers used to drive the feature type system.
- Support for the feature type validators that are a way of performing data validation and also allow a feature type to be dynamically extended so that the data validation process can be reproducible and shared across projects.
- Support for feature type warnings that allow you to automate the process of checking for data quality issues.
For more details, please check: https://docs.public.oneportal.content.oci.oraclecloud.com/iaas/releasenotes/changes/384637e7-e8b9-443d-81fb-62f8151658c9/
2021-08-13: Bare metal and virtual machine DB systems: Oracle Database 21.3 available for database and DB system provisioning
The new database version 21c is now available in Database Cloud Service for Bare metal and Virtual Machine type of DB Systems.
For more details, please check: https://docs.public.oneportal.content.oci.oraclecloud.com/iaas/releasenotes/changes/a455a453-9acb-445b-a396-a2ec8e036f94/
2021-08-16: Security Zones is now available in the Brazil Southeast (Vinhedo) region
Service: Security Zones
Oracle has announced a Security Zone feature in Brail Southeast (Vindedo) region.
For more details on Security Zone, please check: https://docs.oracle.com/iaas/security-zone/using/security-zones.htm
2021-08-17: Management Agent: Oracle Cloud Agent plugin
Service: Compute, Management Agent
Oracle has made available the Oracle Cloud Agent plugin, with which you can deploy Management Agents on a compute Instance.
For more details, please check: https://docs.oracle.com/iaas/management-agents/doc/management-agents-oracle-cloud-agent.html
2021-08-17: MySQL Database Service now has improved availability with rolling upgrades
Service: MySQL Database
The rolling upgrade feature is now available in MySQL Database Service. Now, you can have a high availability while performing a database upgrade.
For more details, please check: https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/mysql-database/doc/maintenance.html
2021-08-17: Network Visualizer updates
The network Visualizer got below features for DRGv2 added to it:
- DRG attachments and internal DRG routing
- Multiple VCNs attachment to a single DRG
- Cross-tenancy VCN attachments